May 01, 2002

If I Hadn't

For the mother who asked if her
other daughter
could join the class late

If I hadn't been standing outside,
four bags - full of pencils, writing pads, markers
green apples, juice boxes - surrounding my legs,
waiting for the principal to show us our room
If five children hadn't come up to me
interrupted our conversation with

What are we doing today, Miss Erin?
Can I have a juice now?

What are those things in the bags for?

Do I have to wear a name tag?

Can I be in your group please?


If I hadn't been worrying that we might
not have a classroom that day
If I hadn't forgotten to introduce myself
shake your hand, look you in the eye
If I hadn't been white, and
you hadn't been black
would you still have walked away that day
humphed through your nose
muttered under your breath
Would the history of our skin colors
still have kept us from becoming friends?

by E. M. Soos

Background on this poem

No comments:

Post a Comment

Useful Critiques