May 01, 2002

What Are You Really Doing?

For the teacher who asked this question
after I introduced the writing class


I've built a tiny world in my heart.
The people in my heart travel
through veins, vessels, arteries
looking to understand every part
of my body, but they always return
to the center, core, corazon.
My heart people work together
keep their earth alive
swim on white blood cells
sew scabs over cuts
extend hands full of oxygen
greet each other with hugs
dance together to the beat
of their homeland.
What I'm really doing is
trying to share this world
teach children to dance
with their own hearts,
bring my heart people
to exist beyond my body,
live in hands of presidents
popes, kings, queens,
in the mouths of every child.

by E. M. Soos

Background on this poem

No comments:

Post a Comment

Useful Critiques